It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. I usually wait until I “feel a blog entry coming on.” But I think I’ll take a page out of my buddy WFHMom‘s book and just write about some random stuff. I’m not going to do the 40-day thing WFHMom is doing. Just a today thing.
1. I love my kids. Not just they-are-my-kids-so-I-have-to-love-them love. Not just I-am-their-mother-and-I-will-always-love-them love. I ENJOY them! They are 14 and 16 now, both girls. I keep hearing about how hard it is to raise teenagers, especially girls. They definitely have their moments of drama; they push each other’s buttons regularly; I have to fuss at them sometimes. But for the most part, I am having so much fun with them. They are funny, smart and clever, and they make me laugh — like, belly-laugh — all the time. They are great kids, and I’m not the only one who thinks so!
2. I hate politics and politicians. I have absolutely no faith in any of them, on either side of the aisle. Don’t know what to do about that. Just putting it out there. (Oh, and please refrain from starting a flame war over this. That’s part of what I hate. Thanks.)
3. To quote one of my kids when she was little, “Sugar…is yummy.”
4. I enjoy piano music… pretty much any format: Elton John, Billy Joel, Barry Manilow, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Jim Brickman, Doobie Brothers (see: China Grove), etc. If it’s acoustic piano, I’m more than likely going to enjoy it. My mom has played piano for as long as I can remember, and that may be why it’s pretty much my favorite instrument. Just recently saw this on youtube, well worth the time.
5. Seems like every time I get attached to a certain brand of something, it gets discontinued. I mean, it happens a lot. Lotion, bread, cheese, makeup, you name it. It’s annoying.
6. I spilled Diet Coke on my keyboard AND mouse yesterday. Both went berserk. On my husband’s advice, I took them outside and hosed them down, letting them dry in the sun. The mouse seems like it is going to be okay. The keyboard is toast. I plugged it back in this morning and it immediately started typing returns, for 12 pages, before I got it to unstick. If you press the space bar, it types 8’s. The backspace button types plus signs. David said it needs to dry more. I don’t have time for it to dry more. Fortunately, I was able to replace it fairly cheaply. (Chapter 2 of that little saga is, I also spilled some water on my desk a few hours later. I have outlawed uncovered drinks at my desk. I am apparently like a toddler in this area.)
7. Okay, that reminds me of a story about my sister. Near the end of her life, she was a bit of a spiller. Her husband had extended the kids’ rule of “nothing but water outside the kitchen” to her. So, one day, I was there with her, and someone had brought over some crazy big, crazy delicious chocolate chip cookies. She wanted to eat one, and she wanted to eat it in the den on the couch. So, I sat down with her and held a napkin under her chin while she munched with great satisfaction. She had eaten about a third of it when I heard the garage door open. I told her we were busted. Without a single word, she carefully and completely crammed the whole rest of the cookie into her mouth. No evidence, no crime. My sister, ladies and gentlemen!
8. Our kitty cat was so happy to see us when we got back from Memphis earlier this week that she decided to forego the usual punishing-us-for-leaving-her phase of the return and went straight to I LOVE YOU SO MUCH I’M SO GLAD TO BE HOME PURRRRRRRR.
9. What is the past tense of “forego”? Is it “forewent”?
10. I just looked it up, it IS “forewent.” That’s weird.
Have a lovely evening. Thanks for tuning in.